Friday, February 6, 2009

Busy week

It's been a busy week in the real world, which has meant a slow week here. Oops. That said, I did just reply to this ad I found on Craigslist.


LET'S OVERTHINK THIS - 28

I'm looking for someone who cocks her head to the side when she's looking at paintings, whether they're in museums, on the side of buildings or in sale bins at IKEA. Someone who smiles when she gets a song that she really likes stuck in her head. Someone who thinks sex is fun but a little bit absurd. Someone who will earnestly and vigorously defend her tastes, even if she's secretly a little bit embarrassed by them. Someone who likes to pick apart what she reads and sees, and sometimes gets a bit overwhelmed by all the thinking she does.


Who am I? I'm that one guy who winds up giving thoughtful answers to silly questions, uses really precise words to describe abstract concepts, who goes to concerts and closes his eyes and silently mouths the lyrics. I write, play music, spend my days commuting to the South Bay for work, bike, and go see all kinds of shows and art.

So, write me, tell me about the last thing you saw (book/movie/painting/fight on MUNI/speech) that made you think. Ask and I'll send a picture.

8 comments:

Ily said...

So what did you say was the last thing that made you think? Billy Bragg's thoughts on fights come to mind: "Sometimes they make me stop and think, sometimes they make me turn away." Or in my case, get out and walk. :-P

Superquail said...

This guy sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes!

Linda Thomas said...

Oooooh Katie, sounds like he's looking for you ;)

Katie said...

I really wish I could give good news on this one, but I never heard back from him. Darn.

Superquail said...

Is there something about the Internet that makes people flaky? If someone wrote me a letter, or called me and left a message on my voice mail, or spoke to me in person, I would feel compelled to respond to him/her in some way. But if someone sends me an email or a Facebook message, occasionally even I feel at liberty to ignore it. How much more so those who don't answer letters or phone messages either!

I wish there was some agreed upon set of Internet Etiquette rules so that we could all know for sure when it was absolutely necessary to respond to an electronic communique and when it was permissable to say nothing. These are important issues.

Katie said...

The internet definitely makes people more flaky than they are in other mediums (phone, mail). My feeling is that if I've had an e-mail exchange with someone and suddenly one of us drops the exchange without any warning, that's rude. If, however, a first message is sent, as in this case, I don't feel too bad if I don't get a response or if I don't respond.

Superquail said...

On-line dating probably should have its own field of etiquette as well, separate from just general Internet stuff. If you aren't interested in someone, sending a polite reply to that effect might just be salt in the wound rather than good behavior.

Katie said...

Yeah, online dating is hard enough without receiving notes saying "Got your message, but I'm not interested."