Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dark stranger from the dark-blue stream

I heard back from the Craigslist guy (let's call him Derek). He sent some pictures along with his response so now I know a bit more and it still seems good. We're going to try to get together this week. This will be my first date off of my particular dating site, which is kind of exciting. Wish me luck.

P.S. When I was trying to figure out what alias to give him, I decided to look up boys names that start with D. Here are a few interesting names I found, along with their origins and meetings.

• Darby (Irish, Scandinavian; free man, freedom, from the deer estate)
• Devon (Irish, Latin, Old English; poet, perfection, people of the deep valley)
• Digby (Old Norse; from the farm by the ditch)
• Doug (Gaelic, Irish; dark stranger from the dark-blue stream)
• Duane (Gaelic, Irish; dark one, swarthy)

Incidentally, the name I chose for it's normalcy, Derek, means 'gifted ruler of the people.'

3 comments:

Ily said...

That is exciting...I'm curious to know what he's like!

Superquail said...

I wonder when parents are picking names for their children, what motivates their choice? Do they think about how the name sounds? Do they look through baby naming books to find out what the names mean? Do they prefer names that have been in the family, or do they avoid names that have been in the family because there are too many Wang Xings already? It would be interesting to find out.

There are definitely fads in baby naming. Apparently there was this one really popular soap opera that was watched by just about everyone in Louisiana and in that generation just about all the girls are named Crystal after some character from the show.

Then there is the fad of taking a seemingly ordinary name and spelling it in a fucked up way to make it seem more interesting. Not sure what's up with that.

Katie said...

Kaitlynne—not an appropriate spelling.